Monica's Ticker


Nakia's Ticker


Thursday, January 31, 2008

Day 17 of VLCD Done!

Starting weight: 186.2
Yesterday: 173.0
Today: 174.0
+1 lb. GAIN Overnight
12.2 lb. Released Since Start of VLCD 1/14/2008
0.72 Avg Daily release

Well... there it is, my first gain with no deviations yesterday. I didn't get quite as much water as usual, but it was a good VLCD day for me. Oh yeah & I bought a new Weight Watchers scale yesterday. My scale is WAY off and I'm trying to decide what to do. I think I weigh about 4 lbs less than it's been showing. I'm trying to decide what to do about that. For now, I'll go by the old scale and record the new scale's readings as well then take the average and adjust my recorded weights. The new one says I'm 169.2 today... I sure do like that number, but I still gained a pound. Anyway, here's what I ate yesterday.

B: coffee with 1/2 & 1/2
L: Strawberries, grilled chicken over romaine with mustard dressing (thanks biz, good stuff)
D: Grilled chicken with boiled cabbage & an apple
about 1.5 liters of water plus 2 cups of tea and 2 cups of black coffee

I gained but nothing can steal my joy today. Yesterday was a roller coaster for me. I didn't get to read blogs in the morning because I needed to get to work earlier so I could leave and get DH to his post opp doctor's appointment. This is where we would find out if he should go back to work. We found out that he needs to stay out for another 2 weeks. Not really a big deal, but then we realized that if he can't go to work, we shouldn't go on our planned trip to Atlantic City next weekend. When I started this round, I planned a mini break for that weekend so I could eat at some really great restaurants while I was there, off of hcg. So yesterday I was trying to decide what to do about that & grappling with the realization that my birthday and superbowl party are this weekend. Those where originally going to be my load days, but I decided to start early. I figured that I could get through this weekend without deviating from the VLCD because I had next weekend to look forward to, but now that's not there as my "carrot on a stick" anymore. What to do?

Well, when I finally got back to my computer last night, I read an email from biz & I hope you don't mind that I post this, but here is part of that email:



Remember my post on special occasions and working through them on the
protocol? Remember my point was better that you LOSE a week of losses by
going off for three days, having your special occasion, then going right back
INTO it, then to risk the deviation WHILE ON HCG.

Deviating while on HCG is disastrous. Going off, maintaining for a few days, is much easier then deviating and then stalling for a week, at least in my book.

I know you don't have 21 days under your belt, but girl, you are so close! I have now witnessed people have a "mini" break even before their 21 effective doses and have come out the other side with success. All they lost is around 4 - 7 days, depending on the amount of break they took.

PLEASE KNOW THIS, I am NOT encouraging you to go off plan. If you KNOW you can stay on plan during these two IMPORTANT occasions, then please do! More power to you (you are a stronger person than I) - but if there is just one iota that you might cave? Then stop injections tomorrow, do your three days, have fun at the Super Bowl Party and the B-Day gig, and go RIGHT BACK ON VLCD the next day. Don't eat sweets, keep to STRICT ATKINS stuff (I can even tell you how to make some KILLER sweets Atkins style) and all you have lost is about 5 days.

Again, PLEASE KNOW I want you to succeed, that is why I am being honest here. I have planned each and every one of my rounds around events, because I am just not willing to risk it. I feel strong, and I have had great success, but something this big and this special, well it deserves a closer look.


Thanks for that biz. I can not tell you how much it meant to me to see that email from you. To know that you were concerned enough about my success to take that time means alot. I actually got a little emotional over it. You're like a rock star on this protocol.

After that email I had decided to do a mini break this weekend. Then I talked to DH about it & all my concerns surrounding it. He has been my diet police on this plan so far. I mentioned that on a comment to biz's blog yesterday. He told me that this weekend doesn't have to be defined by food, and that we could just alter our plans.

Here's what we are going to do:

  1. We're still having people over, but I'm not cooking anything. No hot wings or potato salad... nothing!
  2. On saturday I'm going to get my hair and nails done at a salon for a little mini pampering session.
  3. On sunday they are going to order pizza & I'll either order steamed chicken & broccolli from a chinese food place, or just make something for myself like I have been all football season. I have no problem resisiting pizza.
  4. I'll still take my planned break NEXT weekend & we're going to celebrate my birthday by going to my favorite seafood restaurant and a movie with my best friend... buttered popcorn!

He actually called all his friends last night to let them know we weren't serving food. Ok... how great is it that my husband & life long Die Hard Giants fan is willing to forgo hot wings & artichoke dip on superbowl sunday for his wife.... HUH? I know... I know... dont't be jealous.... HAHAHA.

So... like I said, I gained a pound, but NOTHING can steal my joy today.

In response to yesterday's comments.
smacmo - You are so right! Thanks for pointing that out. It's nice to have someone with similar stuff going on. That's one of the reasons I was drawn to your blog. We're in a similar place right now. Good luck to you and I'm glad the scale is on the way back down now.

maryg911 - No more test... It's going to be like any other football season sunday now. I'm going to enjoy cutting loose with my friends and making a big deal out of company and not food.

ed & jennifer - Thanks girl. My spirits are just fine today. I feel like I have new wind in my sails. I certainly don't feel like I normally would after seeing a gain. I can't stop smiling!

becca - Yup...that's what I'm going to do. I've seen others go up and down and come out ok on the other side. It sure is good to know where to find information. I don't know what I'd do without all the blogs and the message boards. I couldn't do this alone. I understand why others that did got so frustrated and disappointed, but I know what to expect and how to handle it now. That's invaluable & BTW... OMG! your pics look amazing. I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, but WOW!

Have a great day everyone & thanks again for reading all my ramblings.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT POST!!!

I decided this past fall that I did not need to celebrate Thanksgiving and Xmas by eating alot -- my reasoning being that by losing this weight I am adding years to my life, and I will have many more years to enjoy holiday feasts. I had the luxury of not having to participate in temptation-laden family get-togethers (I have no family of my own, and my daughter spent the holidaze at her daddy's, with all her extended family there). I got the best gift of all -- losing nearly 40 lbs and staying stable, weightwise (let's not get into sanity -- he he)!

Your husband sounds like a real gem -- what a love! And how smart are you to start practicing other ways of giving love to yourself, besides food? I am a spa junkie -- get yourself a little facial while you're at it, I say!

Happy happy birthday, and happy shrinking!

BizBuzz said...

Ok, I thought I was all cried out from yesterday, being a very emotional day for me too, but I gotta tell you sweetie, that this post just made my day. What a complete GEM you have in that man, you better chain him to the bed post and don't ever let him go!

I am gonna tell you straight up that you gained a pound because of the stress. I see JPS going thru that all the time when she has a bad day at work. The extreme stress plays havoc on your weight. So relax, it will disappear.

I am so HAPPY that you didn't take what I wrote you as sabotage, especially after my post yesterday, I wanted it CLEAR that I only had your best interests at heart. So girl, all I have left to say is this:

YOU RAWK - and your hubby does TOO! Give that man a big fat wet kiss in your soon to be SKINNY MINNY SEXY BODY!!!

smacmo said...

Monica, what a great post! You are doing the right thing I think! This is a journey, not a race! Just think about Memorial Day, and how GREAT you will look!

Have a great Super Bowl Party, and a fab B-day!

maryg911 said...

When you do your "mini break" try and stick to Atkins type feasting. Don't throw in carbs just yet, that can cause a major stall when you start up again. JMHO and best of luck to you!!

beachbrights said...

I just love your post today! It made me feel all warm & fuzzy. Maybe we are all a little emotional right now, funny huh?

Great plan. You can do it and the next weekend will be that much sweeter, and you'll weigh less!!

You've got it together!
XOXO-

Ed & Jennifer said...

Well shoot, your husband puts Ed to shame! LOL

I'll say it too...great post! See, these are the changes that will affect your life and keep you thin! It's NOT all about the food! We got out of our Super Bowl party because I don't even want to deal with it!

Thanks for sharing...I need to have Ed read your blog and take notes! :)

Thanks for your great blog!

EweWho said...

Wow! Yeah! Great post.

OK, no one else had a solution about the scales so here's mine. See what you weigh on the old scales and then on the new. Eat enough until you weigh on the new what you weighed on the old and start from there.

HaHaHaHaHaHa

Becca said...

Monica isn't Regina a riot! Regina, you're crackin' me up with your scale solution, girl!
Monica, I have to say that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your post today. It is one of the most touching posts I've ever read and you know there are a lot of very touching posts around. And, I think I'M in love with your husband!!! LOL! (don't tell mine that I said that!) Very good solution for the Superbowl party.
I'm going to a party that we've gone to every year for the last 6 years. And of course it is always about the food. But I'm going to make a spinach con queso dip for the potluck and a plate of sliced cucumbers and a serving of the chicken fingers from the P2 recipe book for me. And when anyone asks me why, I'll just point to my skinny size 10 a@% and say, that's why honey! LOL!