Monica's Ticker


Nakia's Ticker


Monday, March 31, 2008

R1P4D9 - Back from NJ & stabilizing

LIW 2/26/08 161.7
Today: 169.7
8 OVER LIW

Well, I'm back home from NJ. I happened to get the news of my uncle's passing while I was writing my post on friday night. I was actually on my way up there for the weekend anyway because 2 of my uncles had been diagnosed with cancer within the last 6 weeks, and I wanted to visit both of them. Unfortunately, my uncle George passed away before I could get up to see him. No one realized he was going that quickly because the doctors had given him 6 months when he was diagnosed, but he just got worse very quickly after that. Even though he was given a certain amount of time, I guess I never really accepted that he was going to actually die. He was only 61! My mother called me on wednesday to tell me I needed to come, but she didn't tell me he was in a coma or I wouldn't have waited for the weekend. I still can't believe he's actually gone. Living 3 hours away, I don't get to see them much so I haven't seen him since he was diagnosed. He and my father were close friends, and I lost him 4 years ago to complications after a stroke. I'm sure they're together now. They had the same wacky sense of humor so there's alot of laughter going on somewhere right now.

My other uncle is doing as well as I can hope for. He's back in the hospital this week because the chemotherpy has made him weak. He's the type that you think can go on forever. He was rebuilding the porch on my grandmothers house just a few months ago & I'm pretty sure he's 78 yrs old. He's my oldest living relative. Cancer can be so brutal. This is another reason why I'm trying to live healthier. So many things are discovered to be linked with cancer and I certainly have a history of it in my family. I just want to give myself the best chance possible & live each day as if it's the last. I'm so happy that I have such a supportive family... online and off line.

As far as my nutrition over the weekend. It hasn't been wonderful. Going to NJ usually means that Someone in the family is going to get White Castles. I used to be able to eat about 8-10 in a sitting. I was only able to eat 4 this time, but I had been snacking on watermelon and grapes all day so I wasn't very hungry. My snacks where healthy both days, but my meals wheren't. I must be stabilizing because eating like this a week ago would have gotten me a 5 lb gain over the weekend. I'm thankful for that.

Becca, Mary, CB, Biz, & Shelly... thank you so much for your kind words. I really do appreciate it.

4 comments:

maryg911 said...

Hey Monica, how are ya? This must have been pretty hard on you. I'm glad you're doing okay though.

P.S. I am so glad there isn't a White Castle anywhere near us, I would move into the storage room, ha!!!

Love ya, take care of you!!!

Becca said...

Monica, I'm sure this weekend was very stressful so under the circumstances you did just great. And a few white castles never did anyone any harm... Amazing how our bodies now tell us to stop eating when we start to feel full. I am finding that my appetite is so different. I frequently put a serving of food on my plate and then realize I can't eat half of it!
You are doing the best possible thing you can do for your health by losing weight and learning new nutrition habits. It's like giving yourself some armour from the toxins that are floating around out there.

BizBuzz said...

You did well under the circumstances. Just get back into routine and you will do just fine!

smacmo said...

Monica, this is truly a learning process. You did great! Listen and learn from your body!